Friday, July 10, 2015

Jane Eyre: Coming of Age as a Worker

Jane as an Orphan: Foundling Museum 
July 7 - Day 1
A painting I like to call "Who Dat?" It is more commonly known as  "Foundling Restored to its Mother" (1848) by Emma Brownlow. 
Jane as a Governess: Geffrye Museum 
July 8 - Day 2
This photo depicts a leisured lady, also known as one who is compelled to sit many hours with her hands before her whilst gazing coyly at pretty pink flowers.
Start 'em young. In this painting a very young girl recieves a piano lesson. In 19th C England, decorative arts were highly valued.  
Although difficult to see, these birds incased in glass sat atop a table in a typical mid-1800s drawing room. Just as in Jane Eyre, a refined and confined Victorian woman lived like a caged bird. 
Jane as Beloved: Tate Britain 
July 9 - Day 3
"Past and Present" by Augustus Leopold Egg (1858): this series shows the discovery of a woman's infidelity and its consequences. Naughty, naughty.   


6 comments:

  1. I love how you selected the image of the gazing lady with her hands pinned to her lap. This is a great representation of the well mannered Victorian woman in a sedentary lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture of the caged birds from the Geffrye Museum! I had not even seen that when we visited, but now I wish I had! It provides a great representation of what we have been talking about in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the picture of the young girl having a piano lesson amusing. It is interesting to think that girls were already forced into the process of becoming the ideal Victorian woman at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoyed seeing the image of the caged birds, relating it then to Jane Eyre. Another symbol that can be linked in Jane Eyre is the moon, which is seen in the painting series you posted, "Past and Present."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your comment/ description, "start 'em young", of your third photo. It made me laugh, and it really is true, young girls were trained early on to be obedient young women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan,

    I love how you focused on the paintings! It's almost like your blog post had a theme. You also seemed to be able to catch really great shots of the paintings, I know I had a little bit harder of a time trying to get close up and focus on everything!

    ReplyDelete